“Learning a language and mastering a language are two different aspects.”
Learning a language is easy process and this can be summarised by LSRW formula i.e. listening, speaking, reading and writing. When a child listens the language in his surroundings , he or she starts babbling and then start speaking slowly. This is a simple way to learn any language.
Mastering a language is toatlly a diferent phenomenon. It requires more of reading than listening and speaking. Comprehensive reading plays an important role in it. It enhances your depth of knowledge about that particular language . This leads to the improvement in your expression.
Now a days , lots of books are available in the market and online too for the kids to read. I personally prefer paperback as it has its own charm. New publishers are coming up with new creative ideas. Book fairs in the school also create an interest in kids to read and encourage them to buys books. Parents also feel good when the child buys a book but later in many of the cases the books keep on lying on the shelf or in one corner of the house.
It is very easy to buy a book for a child but is difficult to create an interest at times. The attractive covers , freebies can be a good reason to buy but can not be a reason for inculcating reading habit.
For this you have to put some effort initially. Take a book , read in front of the child. Remember , children are copycats . When they will see you reading , they will also try to ac like yout. That is pretty good. This is the first step. Now, you can look at your child”s book and give few happy , interesting remark. This is a second step as you evoked the curiosity in your child. Now, start reading together and you are done !!!!
Benefits of reading :
- Reading stimulates the brain
- It increases the retention power.
- It increases the vocabulary.
- It reduces the stress .
- It refreshes the mind.
- It makes the child happy.
- It builds the decision making power.
- It makes the child happy.
- It improves focus and concentration.
Keep these points in your mind when you are buying a book for your child
Buying a book for a child is an art. You should be aware the need of your child. The book should fulfil the need of a child otherwise the child will loose interest in reading. Right choice at right time can do wonders for your child.
- Pay attention on the language used in it.
- Start with a book having interesting pictures.
- Font and size of the letters should be according to the age of the child.
- Check The difficulty level of the language.
- Keep the purpose of the book in your mind.
- Keep the interest of the child in your mind.
- Do not get fascinated by the cover and free gifts.
- Go through few pages before you buy.
Now, take your child and go to book store, buy a book for yourself and see your little going through the books. Ask him if he also want a one.
Happy Reading and have a wonderful weekend.
Do share your reading experience with you kids ! Recommend any one book !